Saturday, September 1, 2007

Activism on the Right and Left

I keep rereading Anna's post on activism, and while I have usually thought of activism in liberal terms such as protesting the war, demanding gender equality, or jumping into politics for the upcoming primaries--I have also been thinking a lot about how her descriptions also apply to the activities of individuals on the Right as well. In part, this comes from my having grown up in a very conservative church, one that was on the forefront of anti-abortion activism, and a strong supporter of movements such as Operation Rescue.

"Not feeling alone in our dissent" is an incredibly powerful thing--I feel somewhat sobered at the fact that this power applies not only to what I believe, but what I question as well.

1 comment:

anna kiss said...

I think that in a diverse, democratic society, this is essential. I am myself sobered by dogma swallowed by masses, however.

I think Sally will point out how in right-wing activism, much is dependent on the patriarchy. The Right is highly mobilized for specific reasons relating directly to participation in hierarchical systems. So though the participation in a democratic system means that free speech is free for all, it's been manipulated by the plutocracy in order for the hierarchies we exist in to sustain themselves. I often think the Left would do better to be more dogmatic and to allow for corporate sponsorship - LOL!