Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Why We Pursue Consciousness

I have spent some time lately reading the daily meditations in Sarah Ban Breathnach's Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort and Joy, a book which my aunt gave me when I graduated from high school. The entry for September 2nd resonated with me, particularly as it reflected much of what we're trying to do in our meetings.

The meditation opens with a quote from the poet Rainer Maria Rilke:
Somewhere there is an ancient emnity between our daily life and the great
work. Help me in saying it, to understand it.
Ban Breathnach goes on to write:

For we can't work well or live well if we don't life authentically.
Like Rilke, we need to acknowledge aloud the ancient emnity between Real Life
and work. It exists. It tears us to pieces every day. We need
to help each other understand it, because we will never understand it on our
own. We can start by holding one another's hands, by listening to one
another's concerns, by reassuring one another, today, that everything will be
all right.

Somehow, together, we will figure it out.

Just something to keep us on the road toward consciousness, even when life threatens to swamp us...

3 comments:

anna kiss said...

With my all-mighty powers of administration, I changed the colors on the blog because your quotes were hurting my eyes.

However, thanks for this quote. I really enjoy the rilke. I wonder what the difference between daily toil and great work is, though? Is it the enmity? Or is it simply outward pressure to ensure that daily toil is not great work? Is there a difference? Could daily life actually be great work? Could it be that the distinguishing between the two is part of the struggle as well? Can we live a creative life and not necessarily place one above the other? Lots to think about here...

bethsalem said...

Thank you so, so much for changing the colors...I hated the red quotes :)

Maybe we're supposed to try to merge our daily life with our Great Work--to live as authentically as we can and to fight for the right to live in a manner true to ourselves, despite the patriarchy and the other systemic forces that keep us down.

anna kiss said...

Indeed! You have hit it so much more eloquently than I! I have always dreamed to be nothing more than you describe. When I was about 17, I decided I wanted to be a housewife. I wanted to stay at home, raise my children, bake, clean, paint, write, read, think, and completely escape the rat race. I still dream of it!